Updated December 4, 2014
1. Children’s Privacy. This website is not aimed at, nor intended to be viewed or utilized by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, except as permitted by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
2. Categories of Information We Collect Upon Request. While you don’t usually ask you for information simply by virtue of your visiting our website, we may still request some or all of the following information when you register for certain services on our website, access various content or features, submit comments, or directly contact us with questions:
a. Contact Information, such as name, e-mail address, postal address, and telephone number;
b. User name, display name, and password;
c. Demographic information, such as age and gender;
d. Geolocation information;
e. Communication preferences;
f. Search queries;
g. Stories, comments, photos and other information posted in our interactive online features;
h. Correspondence and other information that you send to us; and
i. Additional information as otherwise described to you at the time of collection or otherwise provided to us voluntarily.
3. Categories of Information We Collect Automatically. Additionally, we may collect the following information automatically when you visit our website:
a. Your browser type and operating system;
b. Your IP address;
c. Other unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers;
d. Sites you visited before and after visiting our website;
e. Pages you view and links you click on within our website;
f. Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies; and
g. Standard server login information.
5. How We Use the Information We Collect. We may use the information that we collect through the website for a variety of purposes, including:
a. Provide you with the products, promotions, services, newsletters, and information you request and in correspondence that we receive from you;
b. Customize and personalize your use of our website;
c. Contact you via email and otherwise about various services and events that may interest you;
d. Contact you with surveys, legal notices, and other information that may be relevant to your use of our website;
e. Maintain or administer the website, perform business analyses, or for other internal purposes to improve the quality of our business, the website, and other services we offer; and
f. As otherwise described to you at the time the relevant information is collected.
6. Who We Share the Information With. Your privacy and trust is extremely important to us and we want you to understand everyone we share your information with. Rest assured, we do not share any information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
a. Corporate parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries. We may share your information with our corporate parents, subsidiaries, and other affiliated entities for a variety of purposes, including business, operational, and marketing purposes.
b. Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf, such as to host the website, manage databases, host a store or other e-commerce platform, perform analysis and analytics services, or send communications to us.
c. Select Business Partners. We may share your information with select business partners so that they can provide you with special offers, promotional materials, and other materials that may be of interest to you. We should point out that we cannot be responsible for the privacy practices of these partners and they will have the right to utilize any collected information for their own purposes.
d. As Needed to Protect Our Website or Pursuant to Legal Process. We may disclose your information to third parties in order to protect the legal rights, safety, and security of The Gist, our corporate parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries, and the users of our website; enforce our Terms and Conditions; prevent fraud; and comply with or respond to law enforcement or legal process, or a government request for cooperation whether or not legally required.
e. Sale of Our Business. If we sell all or part of our business, or make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or transfer, or in the event of bankruptcy, we may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.
f. With Your Consent. We may share information about you with third parties when you consent to such sharing, including when you post information to a user profile or a public area of the website such as a forum, blog, or comment section.
g. Aggregate Data. We may disclose to third parties information that does not describe or identify individual users, such as aggregate website usage data or demographic reports.
7. Data Security. While we strive to take the upmost care and consideration regarding your data and private information, no data transmission or storage can ever be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information.
8. Social Networks. The Gist continues to work with various third-party social media providers to provide their social networking services through our website, allowing you to utilize their services to share your experience with The Gist with your friends and followers. These social networks may be able to collect information about you, including your activity on our website. Such services also may notify your friends, both on our website and on the social networks themselves, that you are a user of our website or about your use of our services. If you choose to access or make use of third-party social networks, we may receive information about you that you have made available to those social networking services, including information about your contacts on those social networking services.
You may also be able to link an account from social networks to an account through our website. This may allow you to use your credentials from the other site or service to sign in to certain features on our website. If you link your account from a third-party site or service, we may collect information from those third-party accounts, and any information we collect will be governed by this Policy.
10. Communication Preferences. You may choose to receive promotional emails, newsletters, and similar communications from us. You may opt out of receiving commercial emails from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link included in those emails you receive. Any such requests may take up to 10 business days to become effective.
11. International Users. This website is directed and intended to be used by users who reside in the United States. By accessing and using our website, you consent to the collection and storage of your information within the United States and to the laws and privacy measures of the United States.
12. Further Questions. If you have further questions for us, we are happy to answer them as quickly as we can. Please direct further questions to: email@example.com.